It doesn’t matter what you add to the word or how you modify it, it still means the same basic thing.
- Underground church is a church that remains as hidden as possible due to persecution.
- Local Church is a church in one community.
- House church is a church that meets in someone’s house (or office, or third place).
- Universal church is the church that has existed, exists today, and will exist in the future.
- Indigenous church is a church that is contextualized to a certain society.
- Persecuted church is a church that is being persecuted by another religion or by the government.
- Mega Church is a really big church.
- Cell Church is a really small church.
- Online church is the online portion of a local church, whether live or prerecorded.
- Virtual church is where every aspect of the church exists in the virtual world.
- Live-streamed church is when a church broadcasts it’s Sunday morning services live online.
- In-person church is when people gather for face-to-face meetings.
- Church at home is when families worship at home.
But guess what? It’s all still church.
So what does that mean?
We should continue to be the church regardless of which modifier we pick.
- We should continue to proclaim the good news the Jesus is our king.
- We should live out the values of the Kingdom of God.
- We should love God and love our neighbour.
- We should bear witness to the truth.
How will you be the church today?
Feedback is always welcome!
Image by Skull Kat on Unsplash.